Saturday, April 30, 2011

People from the past .....

To set the stage for the reasoning of printing this email, I met Allison Ashley West in 1967 while a sophomore at Mesa High School. Allison had the personality of one who could take you into her world and treat you as if she had known you since the beginning of time. She is loving, caring and a friend for life. If you can ever find someone like this, do everything in your power to hold on to that friendship!! They are extremely rare!! Thirteen years ago she lost a son to cancer and it was a most difficult, painful time but as you can see she never let it suck her into the abyss of despair and hopeless grief. She was and is and always will be one of my sister~friends!! I love you, Allison!!!



"Sue,
It meant so much to me to see you and Vergene. We have to try hard to reconnect and stay reconnected, talked to Mary today and she says we really need to come up and visit you for that slumber party. You can not see someone for 20 years and when you do it is just like you left off yesterday, I believe that is what true friendship is. These kinds of friendships have become like gold to me at this stage in my life. It really felt good to talk to you, I admire you and Vergene. What are the odds of a football star and a cheerleader becoming everyday people and surviving the hard knocks that life throws at us sometimes. I feel lucky to have had Lonnie all these years, he has been by my side always and you and Vergene seem the same way. I always tell people I could have left Lonnie, my husband once or twice, but I could never have given up my best friend, who I knew he was within days of meeting him. From just talking to you yesterday I feel like you and Vergene are the same way. And that is how we survive, by being loved.
Love you so much, Allison"

2 comments:

Shawna said...

So sweet Mom. I too love yours and dad's relationship. Nothing fancy or fake, just two people who do things for each other and who have learned to make it work.
You're also pretty fantastic parents.

Sue said...

Thank you sweet Shawna I must say we are very lucky in the sense that what ever has come our way whether we have different ideas of the outcome, we have found the common ground through love and common sense!!!!